Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Scriptures on Marriage: Matthew 5:28

I normally avoid the "thou shalt not" in favor of the "thou shalt" in all my postings. Telling someone what the wrong answer is, is not the same as giving them the right answer. Also, having a positive approach can be more encouraging and gives the blog as a whole a more uplifting attitude.

Today, I am going to break with my custom and go with a "thou shalt not". In Matthew 5:28 we read:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
This verse has been popping into my brain often over the past several months, so I am finally going to post about it.

There is a lot of salacious material (I am avoiding the "p" word) available on the Internet, in magazines and in movies. I could harp on how indulging in such material destroys self-confidence, is addicting and reduces the respect your sweetheart and children have for you. There has been a lot written on the subject, so I won't.

Instead, I will address the issue of trust and fidelity. Trust is essential to a happy and romantic marriage. Anything that compromises trust erodes the very foundation of a marriage. Contrary-wise, anything that build trust, strengths the marriage. Spend your time being faithful and 100% committed to your sweetie. Strengthen the foundation a little at a time rather than weakening it.

A last note: My sweetheart just read me a quote from a marriage counselor stating that 90% of couples in counseling are there due to lapses in fidelity.

1 comment:

Rachel Starr Thomson said...

Not exactly a popular idea in our culture. Thanks for speaking the truth.