Getting the bugs out of your marriage: Verbal Terminosis
Originally uploaded by m0smith.
The termination of open and honest communication between you and your spouse
CAUTION: Highly contagious, should be treated at fist sign of infection
- Tendency to watch for double meanings in spouse's statements
- You and your spouse both complain of being misunderstood
- Increasing difficulty in verbally expressing your feelings.
- Loss of intimate gestures, eye contact and private jokes only the two of you can understand.
- Increasing difficulty in finding something to discuss with your spouse.
- Difficulty having a conversation that does not end in an argument
- Long silences
- Cannot relax with your spouse ... conversation is stilted and repetitive
- Have two 1-hours conversation per week without interruptions
- Avoid accusations or defensive statements
- Allow equals uninterrupted expression of thoughts and feelings
- Exercise understaing acceptance and empathy