Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Romantic Scriptures: Matthew 7:3-5


LumberDiva
Originally uploaded by alex itin.
These verses have been asserting themselves into my brain for the past several weeks. Not only that, I have heard the verses themselves quoted or the intention behind them espoused in various places. I, therefore, share them with you. For your reading enjoyment, Matthew 7:3-5:
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.
The first question I have is: what are a mote and a beam? I get the idea, but a beam stuck in my eye is hard to visualize. Here is what I found a beam to mean. Clicking on the definition takes you to the source:
Looks like I really do have a large piece of lumber in my eye, metaphorically speaking. A mote of course is a small speck, almost insignificant piece of dust.

What has this all to do with romance? A lot really. First, reread it replacing brother with husband or wife, as appropriate in your situation. Husbands should think "wife" instead of brother and wives think "husband" for brother.

Much of the scriptures, and particularly the teachings of Jesus, are dedicated to human relationships. Love your neighbor resounds throughout. I will ask the question once asked of Jesus: Who is my neighbor? Isn't your sweetie your closest and most important neighbor?

Often there is a temptation to change your sweetheart. To find some small imperfection, a speck of a problem, a mote if you will. It is human nature to want to fix the imperfection, to remove the speck or pull out the mote. When you feel like your sweetheart needs "improving", remember the beam in your own eye. Each of us has things we need to work on: goals to set and achieve, procrastination to overcome, gratitude to express, and to learn the pure love of Christ. Don't waste your time trying to fix your sweetie. Instead, work to extract that huge beam that is clouding your own vision.

No comments: