Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Good Wife's Guide

My friend forwarded me an email making the rounds. The subject line was "The Good Wife's Guide" and it appears to be making the rounds on the internet. I liked it so much I included it on my Humor Page.


Click for larger image


It is supposed to be from a 1955 "Housekeeping Magazine" and I have not checked whether it is a fake or if it was real. Regardless, it is funny. My sweetie had a good laugh over it.

While the none of the items on the list itself is not going to be taken very seriously, there is one grain of value that can be gleaned. It is the essence behind several of the suggestions. The thing we can apply is the notion of "preparing to greet your spouse".

Think about it. My sweetie and I spend most of our time apart. Those first few moments of when we meet up in the evening seem to be most critical. If we greet each other warmly and with a smile, it sets a cheerful tone for the rest of the evening. If, contrariwise, we are grumpy and grouchy then the whole evening gets off on the wrong foot.

Bottom line: before coming home or when your sweetie arrives, greet your sweetheart with a smile and a hug. Let your sweetie know that you are glad to be with them again. Spending a few moments enjoying each other's company will go a long way toward making the rest of the evening a pleasant one.

Imagine the impact it will have on the kids if they see how important your relationship with your sweetheart is to you. With all the bad examples of marriages that we are barraged with, setting a good example of proper priorities is most important.

1 comment:

Passion said...

I agree that the greeting after a day'swork sets the tone for the rest of the evening. I am fortunate enough in that every time hubby meets me, whether it's a date outside or meet at home at the end of a working day, he seems genuinely happy and excited to see me. He always give me warm hugs. I love that feeling.

Equally important is how we greet when we wake up in the morning in bed. Holding each other tight, or a kiss in the face feels wonderful. Love doesn't need to be expensive presents or flowery words. Love is in each other's company and feeling cherished.